Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My photo
Mpls, MN, United States

Reading & Recently Read

Incidents & Accidents

Friday, October 27, 2006

"I had some dreams they were..."

At the risk of perpetuating the myth that my life here in the Cities is "glamorous" (as my mom suggested when I told her Bryant and I were going to see BodyWorlds last Wednesday; I responded that I'd clearly been blogging about the wrong things), here are two of the day's Disaster Kitchen productions: coffee and soup! The former is an attempt at a macchiato (or two), made with the espresso maker Bryant gave me* and to which I'm now a bit addicted. Foaming the milk is my favorite part; sometimes getting to use the steamer is what gets me up in the morning.

The soup is a loose interpretation of one Ellen spotted at veganlunchbox. I made it more or less from the recipe yesterday, and Bryant and I ate quite a lot of it over brown rice, even though the delicious spices made my eyeballs sweat. We both thought it would be good as the base for something a little more substantive, so today I cooked some green lentils and sort of built another batch of soup around them, adding yesterday's leftovers. My attempt at naan was less than stellar, but I thought the soup was pretty fabulous.

Now, however, lest you think my life too exciting, I wish to say that yesterday was essentially my first chance to cook anything all week. I spent the entire weekend grading 40 five-page film essays, stayed up ridiculously late Sunday writing a paper for Monday and then again Monday writing a paper for Tuesday. Monday I woke up having nightmares about deconstruction, and Tuesday having nightmares about "The Kreutzer Sonata." I overslept my alarm Monday and was almost late for class (even worse when you're the teacher), and don't think I'll attempt leading another discussion under similar circumstances without coffee. I thought at the time that my students were just having "a case of the Mondays," but in retrospect realize that it's more likely I was just asking incoherent questions.

All of this is giving me wrinkles. I have wrinkles and spots, which I think is about the least glamorous combination possible.

*He found it under his couch in the dorm

4 comments:

utenzi said...

Those wrinkles don't look too serious but look on the bright side--according to Dilbert this will make you more productive. Or is that a bright side?

Ellen said...

i've noticed sunspots on my face. it worries me, giving me wrinkles.

Adrianna said...

I feel ya... I was just commenting to my Mom tonight that I'm so depressed to realize that I have wrinkles around my eyes and a worry line under my mouth... I'm getting old and it's all kinds of wrong in my book!

Angela said...

i have wrinkles too. but it doesn't mean we're getting old.

your food looks yummy.

the quote on my blog came from "Listening to Your Life: Daily Meditations wtih Frederick Buechner." it's a compilation of his writings. originally, it came from "Whistling in the Dark."