Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My photo
Mpls, MN, United States

Reading & Recently Read

Incidents & Accidents

Sunday, February 19, 2006

"Find me and follow me.."

This morning, I ran five miles. After yesterday morning's shorter run, from which I returned feeling as though I had been pressing ice cubes against my face, I made a point of wearing a scarf--as well as a harder-core windbreaker. The scarf I wrapped over my nose and mouth and around my head, tucking it under the edges of my wool hat. Since it would quickly stiffen from the "snow" formed by my frozen breath, as well as loosen and fall down, I had to stop periodically to rewrap it. This small inconvenience, however, was far outweighed by the benefit of having something protecting my skin from the wind. It was six degrees--without windchill.

However, although I was admittedly chilly (and, being allergic to the cold, returned home with an itchy rash), it was a good run. The sun was shining, and thanks to my brand-new (to me) MP3 player, I got to rock out the whole way. So far, I am definitely a fan of running with music--it even helped me with a little bit of speed work as I ran faster to different songs. Two weeks ago, I ran to NPR, which was interesting and informative, but didn't do anything for my pace.

Yes, I am the ubernerd.

8 comments:

bryant said...

Hmmm.... I was thinking about catching up on TAL while running, once i get my mp3 player that is. But I guess music would be better for speed. I would probably be too absorbed in the story and trip over something anyway.

CëRïSë said...

Perhaps surprisingly, I didn't trip... but I did find myself running really slowly.

Karen said...

Try running to rap, i like LL Cool J for speed sprints

Leah said...

I still can't get past the fact that you went running (!!!!!) in this freakin' cold weather. The best I could do was a quick sprint down the driveway to drop my garbage in the curbside can and back inside again.

Also, running with NPR is one of the least hip things I've heard of. You're falling behind in the hipness race.

I'd recommend Sponge Bob Squarepants. They play that near the workout machines in my campus gym. It's fun to watch Sponge Bob torture Squidward while I'm running.

Ellen said...

leah, you go to the gym?! that's, that's, that's so unlike you.

i can't remember the last time i ran. i think a few weeks ago i had to sprint through a crosswalk because the light was changing, but i guess that's not really considered "running".

CëRïSë said...

Oh, I'm totally unhip--that race was lost long ago. If I listened to some LL Cool J, though... or some Sponge Bob...

Ellen, I remember when you used to run through crosswalks as a general rule.

Ellen said...

and now i walk sloooowly through crosswalks, especially when there is a car that wants to turn and has to wait for me.

remember how your flip-flop would always break the moment you would step into an italian crosswalk?

strovska said...

i would definitely run to npr, if i ran. i'm with ellen about crossing crosswalks as slowly as possible.