Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My photo
Mpls, MN, United States

Reading & Recently Read

Incidents & Accidents

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Ice

So I was telling Hathor yesterday that I hadn't missed a day of NaBloPoMo since the second day... and then I missed yesterday. Sigh.

Last night David and I went to a friend's birthday party in Northeast, leaving at about 9:15 after having spent most of the afternoon inside after morning errands (one of which was my attempt to go to yoga, but turning around and coming home after not being able to find free parking, running late, and not having my wallet!). The weather was chilly when we headed out, but otherwise unremarkable.

During the party, though, we began to get freezing rain. I got a text from a friend who had intended to come, but on her way had spun 720° on the freeway as she tried to change lanes! She and her car had been unscathed, but she had made her way back home for the night and wanted to let us know how bad it was out.

When the party broke up and we headed outside, everything was covered in a layer of ice. David and I shuffle-slid our way to his car, where we were greeted by a group of kids in a circle in the middle of the road, doing a sort of black-ice dance involving a sort of sliding shuffle-step, some sort of chanting, and laughing. As he scraped the ice off all the windows, the kids exuberantly continued to slip, slide and fall. They were still there as we very slowly pulled away from the curb and very slowly made our way home.

Thankfully, it was literally a straight shot there--just two turns at the last two blocks--and almost entirely flat. David drove very carefully, and we made it home without sliding into anything or being slid into (pedestrians the likeliest culprits).

And today I haven't left the house. A friend came over for brunch and a long chat, and I stepped onto the back porch for a glimpse of a cardinal, but that's it! Hopefully the roads will be clear by tomorrow morning... though there's also a prediction of some more snow.

No comments: