So, my first project with the duct tape dummy wasn't entirely successful, but it was good practice for the refashion I want to do with another of David's castoff shirts that I like even better. It also took kind of a ridiculously long time; later projects should go faster.
And some in-between: (pinning, wonky sleeves before I fixed them [sort of], prior to shortening, and cuff detail)
However, I think I may still actually wear it when the weather warms up (with a shirt under it, thanks to that button problem). And in the meantime, I'm looking forward to revamping another of his shirts into something sort of like this. Actually, the Anthropologie web site is quite inspiring for refashion ideas. They make the shirt I just finished look pretty pathetic (though generally about $100 cheaper)--but inspire hopes for future projects!