Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My photo
Mpls, MN, United States

Reading & Recently Read

Incidents & Accidents

Monday, August 08, 2005

Peter Jennings

Since I was three, Peter Jennings has been my favorite news anchor.

Some of my first, vague, memories are of not being able to sleep and being allowed into the living room for World News Tonight. My parents remember me saying his name: "Pee-toh Jen-inz."

He was one of the first public figures of whom I was aware as a child. The other evening TV I remember is music videos--strange, colorful, baffling and improbable jumbles. They were fun, but couldn't compare to the consistent, comforting, avuncular Peter Jennings.

I don't remember Carter at all or Reagan before I was probably seven. But Peter Jennings, I do.

These days I don't own a TV, and haven't watched with any regularity in about 10 years. And it's probably not television itself that has changed as much as me personally, but reading about Peter Jennings reminded me of a time when you believed the news from your TV because it was delivered by a reliable, trustworthy source--who, in addition to seeming genuinely sincere, also happened to have really good hair.

Even into my teens and later, when I would see Peter Jennings on TV, it would reawaken some of those childhood memories and give me a warm feeling.

Thinking of him now does, too.

Peter Jennings, 1938-2005

No comments: