Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My photo
Mpls, MN, United States

Reading & Recently Read

Incidents & Accidents

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Summer Squash Cilantro Pesto Feta Pizza

I had another amazing weekend, and I'm going to tell you all about it, but it's going to require sorting through 163 photos and videos (from only about two hours of the entire weekend; somehow we managed not to photograph anything else!*) and a fair amount of writing, and I'm not equal to the task at the moment.

So, in the meantime, here's something a bit easier: the recipe for a pizza Ter and I made a few weeks ago, inspired by one currently served on Thursdays at Hot Lips near PSU in Portland.




Summer Squash Cilantro Pesto Feta Pizza


In blender/food processor, whiz:
1 bunch cilantro, washed
~1 handful fresh garden basil
~3 cloves garlic
~1/2 can green chiles (we froze the rest in a resealable plastic bag)
1 small handful pine nuts
enough olive oil to make it saucy--maybe 1/3 cup?
~1 tsp sea salt
dash freshly ground black pepper
dash red pepper flakes

Spread on prepared crusts (the above makes enough pesto for two; I'm sure the excess could be frozen if you only wanted one), and layer with thinly sliced summer squash rounds and Walla Walla sweet onion (our addition). Sprinkle on feta. Bake in 400° oven until lightly browned.

We made it on Andy's Market's whole wheat crust, but I think it would be even better on a thin homemade one. I think it would also be delicious with zucchini. Of course if you're feeling vegan you could omit the feta--though this would make me very sad.

*One thing I wish I had a photo of is the Geo Metro (Popcan!) we saw in Hermiston. Plastered across its back bumper was the sticker below. Oh, Metro drivers, I love the way you think.

6 comments:

Leah said...

HA! I once saw that same sticker on this tiny, ancient, beat-up Toyota truck in Missouri. I laughed so hard I almost drove off the highway. I love people who have a sense of humor.

strovska said...

oh, this looks good. i think i'll try it with the pitas i have in the freezer.

Unknown said...

sounds YUMMY!

Daniel said...

Two questions, is this just half of a small can of green chilies? and by prepared crust do you mean already baked or could I go with fresh dough?

My first word was lersh, before it switched for some reason to affles.

CëRïSë said...

Daniel, yes, a small can--I think they're usually four ounces. You could experiment with adding the whole can if you wanted to.

The crust we bought was one that you bake before serving, although I think it had already been lightly baked. If I were doing it with homemade dough, I think I'd just roll it out pretty thin and put the toppings on before baking it all together; if you wanted to do a thicker crust, you might want to bake it for 5-10 minutes before loading it up.

Oh, and Holly, let's definitely get together sometime soon! It looks like I'll be around Friday, so that could work well for me.

Angela said...

I am going to try it too. I have so much squash and basil! I love summer cooking.