Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My photo
Mpls, MN, United States

Reading & Recently Read

Incidents & Accidents

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Soup, Etc.

This afternoon I made what I think was a pretty awesome soup. I can't be completely certain, because I was absolutely ravenous and because I accidentally sacrificed a corner of a finger to the project. Still, I think it was pretty good.

Mostly, it was leftover vegetables from the Superbowl party--celery, carrots, a tomato, red and green bell peppers--chopped up with an onion and sauteed with garlic until soft, then cranked up to a boil with water and red lentils. I seasoned it with fresh grated ginger, cumin, a little bit of Better Than Bouillon, chili powder, red pepper flakes, and salt to taste--topped with the juice of half a lemon. Hearty, a little bit spicy, and hopefully full of goodness.

I've been trying to eat even more fruit and vegetables than usual recently, because I'm fighting a sore throat. I'm blaming it it on the marathon's lingering immunosuppressive effects (and, frustratingly enough, the sugar I consumed at Sunday's party--not much, but apparently enough more than the very little I'd consumed in the past few weeks to totally throw my defenses). So I'm drinking a lot of water and tea, taking my vitamin, and thinking happy thoughts. Speaking of which, look! Flowers!

And here are a few of tonight's sunset (note the icicles in the upper left-hand corner of the first image):

7 comments:

Misty said...

Beautiful sunset and flowers. Your soup is inspiring me to clean the vegetables out of my fridge. Hope the soup staves off further illness.

strup

Adrianna said...

Oooh... Pretty flowers! That soup looks pretty yummy too! Does eating sugar lower your immunity? I'm trying to figure out why we seem to catch EVERYTHING! (Aside from the fact that I have 3 kids who slobber, suck, and touch everything in Nursery, Primary, Preschool, the store, the park, the....)

Ern said...

Beautiful flowers and sunset! And the soup looks goooood.

Leah said...

Mmm. Vegetable soup sounds good again. I was kind of burned out myself, but your picture looked so good.

Nothing said...

Wow, you want to come over to my place and make soup for supper? That picture makes me hungry.

Anonymous said...

pretty flower cer! got your card, you are too cute! db

strovska said...

that soup looks so good. i especially like the steam rising off it.