Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My photo
Mpls, MN, United States

Reading & Recently Read

Incidents & Accidents

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Tuesday

Last night we had our first major snowfall of the season, so I knew that this morning things would be a little crazy. I intended to get up early and leave early so that I wouldn't have to worry about speed when I would be better served by worrying about not sliding out. I was also supposed to make copies (since my fellow TA was out sick) and pick up the laptop.

However, because I somehow seem to need to sleep nine to eleven hours a night recently, and because I apparently didn't set my alarm correctly, I instead awoke with a start at 9:13, precisely thirty-two minutes before class was to start. I'm a 13 minute ride from school on a good day, if I make all the lights, and, as I mentioned, today there was traffic slush to deal with. I couldn't find a scarf to cover my crazy bedhead, I didn't have time for more makeup than mascara, I had been deep in the middle of dreams minutes before I found myself ski-biking, and I certainly didn't get those copies made.

But I was only a couple of minutes late to class, and the professor for whom I TA was forgiving (walking into the auditorium wearing a bike helmet and a balaclava, with snow to one's knees, helps in these situations). We ended up avoiding copying the handouts by having students write on their own paper. I went to lunch with a friend (curried potato leek soup and a green salad with my favorite creamy vegan dill dressing!). I wrote most of the final exam we'll give our students in a few days. I attended a lecture on the East Bank that, if nothing else, resulted in an interesting discussion on synthetic meat.

And then I went to Grumpy's with friends from the department, where, among other things, I tried, for the first time ever, fried mac 'n' cheese bites. We stayed late, and I talked and laughed to the point of hoarseness, and at the end of the night I received the first cheek kiss I can remember having in a long time. Good times!

3 comments:

Carissa said...

And then did you ride your bike home in the cold and snow and dark? You're brave.

CëRïSë said...

Ah! No. I got a ride to Grumpy's and then home with my neighbor, who has a bike rack. I was very thankful for that, too!

Leah said...

I love that there's a place called Grumpy's.

Everyone here is freaking out because there's a slight chance that it *might* snow...wait for it...a whole inch!