Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My photo
Mpls, MN, United States

Reading & Recently Read

Incidents & Accidents

Friday, October 10, 2008

Why I Like ____(Obama)______

I recently commented on a friend's blog, asking her what, specifically, she liked about Sarah Palin and why she wanted her to be president. Another commenter, whether genuinely curious like me, or politely suggesting I mind my own business, wrote,

CëRïSë, why don't you answer your own question about your favorite candidate?
Alert Readers know, of course, that I've talked about Obama before, and that I'm very excited about him. But I haven't systematically laid out the reasons I feel so strongly about this campaign. So that's what I'm going to do. And I would be thrilled if ALL of you posted entries to your own blogs with the title "Why I Like _______ " and explained who you're excited about.

The rules I've decided on for myself, by which you may or may not choose to abide, are the following: include only reasons I like my candidate, not slams on his opponent; exclude issues that are specifically part of his party's platform; aim for verifiable facts.

I like Obama because
  • He is intelligent
  • He is articulate, in both the spoken and printed word
  • He makes thoughtful, measured decisions
  • He believes in diplomacy
  • He has remained calm in the face of recent crises as well as attacks by his opponent
  • He represents a clear and distinct change from the current administration
  • He believes healthcare is a right, not a privilege
  • He voted against the war
  • He has been married to his (first/only) wife for 16 years, and his two daughters clearly love him
  • He knows what it's like to be poor, and cares about poor people
  • He forewent more financially lucrative jobs in favor of community organizing
  • He was a college professor
  • He's athletic
  • He quit smoking
  • He has travelled widely
  • He has been an inspiration and catalyst for young and first-time voters to get involved in the political process
  • He has set records for funding from small, individual donors
Okay. I guess I'll stop there, and let you compose your own lists! If you don't have a blog, or don't want to post your list there, please feel free to do so in the comments.

11 comments:

Larissa said...

I am planning to answer your question. I would normally hesitate because I don't like debating (which my post is bound to lead to), but I think this is a very important election so I will. I don't know if I will follow the rules you set out for yourself though.. :] I am going to need a little time to effectively compose my reply. Thanks for posting your list!

Ern said...

Excellent post, I think my list would look very similar to yours. I would add that he committed to the WE campaign's goal of all clean energy in the US in ten years.

It's so important to see thoughtful reasons for support rather than negatives against the other candidate/party.

m said...

great list, ceri. i think i've posted enough about why i like obama. so i am just going to add to your list here.

- he upholds a woman's right to choose while at the same time states the importance of reducing the number of unwanted pregnancies. i truly believe this is where pro-choice and pro-life can be most effective. no one in their right mind LIKES abortion or sees it as a form of birth control. let's work together and reduce the cause/need for abortions rather than making it illegal and ultimately dangerous for women.

- while i do not agree with his stance on gay marriage, he has a solid reputation for supporting gay and lesbian issues (among other important civil rights issues)

- obama has shown his ability to surround himself with the right people, example being warren buffet on his team of economic advisers. and chuck hagel, a republican vietnam vet who has traveled with him to iraq. just today another famous conservative, christopher buckley (the late william buckley's son) came out in support of barack. the people he surrounds himself with and the people who support him are from both sides of the aisle.

oh jeez. there are so many more reasons. i might be back. or i might annoy my readers with yet ANOTHER pro-obama post.

Leah said...

Thanks, Ceri. I will also need some time to reflect, which is something I should be doing anyway, before I post my own thoughts on my favorite candidate.

chelfea said...

I did it, but not so well as you. :)

CëRïSë said...

Larissa: I'm very interested to read your list (as well as to see which of my own guidelines you do or don't follow--I was a bit unsure about leaving out party platforms, since that's obviously a huge factor, but I didn't want to get too distracted; that may be a topic for another post)!

Ern: Clean energy is huge. Thanks!

Mandy: You've already put me to shame with your thoughtful blogs on the issues, as well as your real-life volunteering efforts.

Curly Sue: I look forward to reading your post!

Turquois: I don't know; I think your list may have kicked my list's butt. Yes for community!

Ellen said...

He's also supercute.

Laura said...

I'm going to be brave and venture to say that I believe platform issues to be far more important than his personal life/athleticism/public speaking ability, etc. It's values and policy that I'm worried about. :)

CëRïSë said...

Ellen: I concur.

Laura: (Hi! Welcome!) You're right, of course, that platform issues and policy are very important. As I mentioned earlier, I left them out somewhat hesitantly, but with the goal of focusing more specifically on why I'm excited about this candidate. There are serious issues in the opposing platform with which I disagree strongly, and which I believe are harmful to our country. However, if Obama were a Republican, and still somehow displayed all the characteristics I listed, I'm pretty sure I'd still vote for him. I do believe that things like intelligence, willingness to engage in diplomacy, and care for poor people are the values that would shape the best policy for the country and world.

I am curious why you're "worried," though, and would love to see your own list!

K L said...

I like your idea. Why I like _______. Hmmm. Who should I pick?

CëRïSë said...

Kuyler, if you don't know, I have a suggestion! =)

I'd love to read your list, too.